top of page

Business Registration

To operate a business in Massachusetts, you need to register your company with the Secretary of State’s Office.

You may need to obtain your Employer Identification Number (EIN), which is your federal tax ID. To obtain a EIN number, click here. Note that IRS will request the following information:

  • Legal and mailing addresses

  • Start date for your business

  • Contact information for your business officer(s) including title(s) and Social Security Number(s) (SSN)

  • IRS determination letter recognizing your Organization as a 501(c)(3)



Doing Business As (DBA) Name


If you are considering a “Doing Business As (DBA)” name, also called fictitious business name or assumed business name, reach out to your city or town clerk’s office to check if you need to file for one.

Filing for a DBA may be required for Sole Proprietors, Corporations, and Limited Liability Companies (LLC), if they wish to operate under a different identity from their personal name or their formal business entity name (SBA).

bottom of page